Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hunter S. Thompson

I know that the topic of "politics" is kind of a no-no, but with the upcoming election and everyone a political pundit, it's a topic that is hard to escape. BUT this is going somewhere regarding writing, people, don't worry! A friend of mine recently recommended that I read the works of Hunter S. Thompson because the author has a unique writing style that I might find entertaining. (There are some of you who have heard of the movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" starring Johnny Depp -- it's about Thompson.) Now personally, I'm not a big fan of non-fiction, but I trust my friend's opinion, so I picked up two books: Better Than Sex: Confessions of a Political Junkie Trapped Like a Rat in Mr. Bill's Neighborhood and Fear and Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of and Outlaw Journalist (The Gonzo Letters, Volume II). I began the Better Than Sex book and I haven't been able to put it down. It follows Thompson's experience during the campaign of the '92 election and it's a doozy. Thompson's sometimes crude, almost always humorous, and his analogies are "out there," but it is informative (albeit biased) regarding the happenings during a big-time political campaign that We The People aren't typically privy to. I cannot wait to finish this book and continue on with Thompson's other works. On a tangent, a question that is sometimes thrown out there to people are "name three people you would like to have lunch with." There are different variations on this query, such as the number of people or that the people can be alive or dead. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is Hunter S. Thompson I have added to my list. Unfortunately, he would be on the "dead" list thanks to a self-inflicted gunshot wound back in 2005.

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Hey--I hope I haven't been misleading you. Politics isn't off limits for y'all to discuss! It's only off limits for me. As for Hunter, I agree that he's amazing, though I haven't read him in years. A couple friends said that the movie about him, Gonzo, was wonderful.