Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Workshop Babble

I'm new to this blogging thing and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be writing about. So, here goes another entry: You know, I feel it's always a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to a workshop environment. I think it all boils down to chemistry whether or not it's going to be (a) a productive class, and (b) it will not feel like an eternity. Last Thursday, I really found myself enjoying all of the stories and poems that my classmates shared. Even though I was riding the Caffiene Bus, I wasn't anxious to bolt out the door. There was a great variety of styles and the skill level was up there. Let's face it -- most people take night classes because they have to. Jobs, family, and sometimes more classes fill their daytime hours. Maturity and mutual respect I find in greater abundance in night classes, too. I like that our class seems to be lacking in the deluded-psuedo-artist department -- yes, you know the type. Try too hard to be obscure and figure they'll fool everyone into mistaking their nonsense work for genius? Obvious attempts to be "quirky"? Speak with an affected tone? Anyway, I think our class has that special chemistry which will make a productive semester fly by. Do I sound like a kiss-ass? I hope not. I'm just babbling about the first topic that came to mind: my feelings regarding where I spend my Thursday nights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in full agreement, Krista. I've found that in general night time classes have a greater diversity in the age of the students which I think makes for a better experience for everyone.

I also agree that the readings last week were impressive and interesting. Several of the readers made me want to hear more of their story which is probably the best response you can have to a reading.

Lacey said...

I definitely agree; I was just having a conversation with Waker yesterday after a different class we also have together, regarding the works read during last class. We both think that the writings fit the authors reading them, which I think is a sure sign that they're on the right track.

As for night classes - I think that most students who take them are more mature or at least a bit more interested in what's going on. Maybe it's because the class only meets once a week, maybe it's because they're just more dedicated to learning what is being taught. Who knows? But this was a really great post. :)

A Quinlan said...

I'm also excited about this class, though I'm biased. As for night classes, they are all I teach any more and I prefer them very very much to the day-trippers... As for assignments, please post one more website since the syllabus called for five by last week.